Saturday, July 20, 2013

History

The maternal grandfather of my mother's mother came from the United Kingdom, but where I don't know. I've been very curious about this story ever since I learned the information. My great aunt says this man worked for the British consulate in Fort Santo Domingo (and seemed to be the vice consel). But she seems to know nothing else about her grandfather. Actually she even came to know that only after she checked the registration record not long ago. (We only knew one of them was a foreigner, but was never certain whether it was a he or she, and where he or she came from.) How long did he stay in Taiwan? Till the end of his day or leaving after he served his term? Which part of the UK did he come from? England, Scotland, or Wales? Does he have sons in Taiwan and where the families are? It must have happened like 100 years ago. So I may never be able to find the answers to my questions.

I really love to listen to stories of my mother's family since my childhood. Once my grandpa showed me a wedding photo taken in Tamsui during the Japanese rule. My grandma came from a very wealthy family in Tamsui, whereas my grandpa was only a teacher and a son of a grocery shop owner. Their wedding followed the Japanese tradition. In the photo all people dress up, men in military suites and women in kimono. My grandpa and grandma sit in the middle wearing Japanese wedding gowns. But no one is smiling and look all solemn. I asked my grandpa, sounding quite naive to him I guess, why didn't you smile? And he replied seriously: People don't just smile for no reason back then. That was a completely different time. Their life was harder, but their hope was brighter. My grandpa remained a respected high school teacher all his life, had seven children with my grandma, and died peacefully in sleep at the age of 96, on Chinese New Year's Eve after dinner with family.

No comments: